Our Survivors Symposium is an opportunity to share your lived experience and expertise with others in a variety of different ways. We are passionate about ‘Embedding Culture and Building Understanding around Domestic Abuse in the Workplace’ and are particularly interested in hearing from people that found their employment impacted in some way due to domestic abuse. They may have needed to leave their job, found their workplace supportive, not supportive or just couldn’t contemplate even attempting to try and work whilst coping with domestic abuse. You yourself, may have been affected or you may have been a work colleague or an employer who struggled to know what to do and how to help.
Your experience and story could go on to influence future training for employers and those affected by domestic abuse in the workplace. You can do this confidentially by sending your thoughts and insight through to us at email@example.com or in confidence talking to one of our specialist team. We will support you to share whatever you want to share in the way you want to share it.
Our regular Symposium Events bring together those with lived experience, survivors, employers, and specialists in a safe environment where some of these stories are shared by those that have been most affected and where we can build a better way of reaching those affected sooner.
Meet our Survivors Symposium ambassadors
From the outside, her life looked perfect.
- But going for a drink after work could mean a beating from her husband the next day.
- She stayed off work when bruises were obvious and felt too ashamed and frightened to confide in friends or family.
- ‘I used to love Mondays, going to work, being the person I really was -not this victim who was being abused’
- At one point I was going to throw myself in front of a train at Waverley Station. At the last moment I stopped and thought there must be more to life than this.
‘From the cupboard to the city……..’
- After a particularly violent incident when Fiona was forced to tell her Manager, things took a surprising turn.
- They got her a job in London, covered her tracks – and Fiona left with just a suitcase.
- She said: ‘That was what saved me. They gave me time off to see a solicitor and sort things out. The leaving was hardest’.
- Fiona’s subsequent successful career and campaigning has earned her enormous respect and admiration from within the corporate sector as well as the domestic abuse sector
- On Friday 4th March 2016 at 15:10 near a busy town centre, an 8 month pregnant Natalie – was stabbed 24 times with a 12 inch carving knife lasting a horrific 9 minutes.
- After suffering appalling multiple life-critical wounds and surviving against all medical odds, she awoke from her coma to find out it was her partner that had committed this horrific attack.
- It is seen as one of the most shocking attempted domestic homicides ever and Natalie, despite surviving, has been left with long term and life-changing physical and emotional damage…..
an inspirational fight for survival…
- Natalie’s story will inspire you; as despite her life changing immeasurably, she has gone on inspire others in many different ways which she will share in her story.
- Natalie campaigns around changing the narratives and stereotypes that we have around domestic abuse. It really can happen to anyone.
- She has gone on to become an expert in knife and gang crime where she speaks to young people in pupil referral units and schools around the reality of knife crime.
Our Survivors Symposium Aims
- Let’s stop allowing domestic abuse to reach crisis point before we find interventions.
- Let’s use employers and workplaces as a place where early intervention can occur.
- Let’s reduce the nervousness of businesses to encourage disclosure and to use business structures and resources to assist domestic abuse victims and survivors.
- Let’s hear good and poor experiences so that we can change the future for others.
- Let’s understand why many businesses won’t engage with domestic abuse awareness training.
- Let’s produce a body of good quality, well evidenced research to be used in decision making of the future.
We have Worked With Individuals, Small Businesses, & Large Groups
Ask a question or book an appointment below.