Domestic Abuse & Pets
Level 3 – 1 hr Online Workshop
This enhanced session forms part of a suite of enhanced sessions on the additional layers that sit in and around domestic abuse and interact with it in a dynamic way.
Aims and objectives:
- To understand why the abuse of Pets is closely correlated with Domestic Abuse
- To understand the different ways in which Pets may be at risk of abuse or violence
- To understand the effect on a child or victim of abuse who is witnessing the abuse of their pet
- To understand the complexity in legislation in this area
- To feel better equipped to spot the signs of domestic abuse and the abuse of pets
- To know where to reach out to if you are concerned about a pet living in home where domestic abuse may be occurring.
The aim of the session is to raise awareness of the correlation between domestic abuse and the abuse of pets who are also members of the former or current family dynamic.
This course is designed for anyone living and working within and across the community however is ideal for those working with children and young people, in health settings, youth work and community organisations. It is also ideal for those working with animals, social workers, police and local authorities who wish to broaden their understanding of domestic abuse and its impact.
- General Admission (Free) All attendees are requested to register individually to ensure attendance is recorded and to ensure receipt of the supporting handbook after the session.
Online via Zoom